Friday, July 17, 2015

Listening to just a few notes...

My music friends often tell me that anyone can learn to sing.  Then they hear me sing, and tell me that there are exceptions to every assumption.  Music, fortunately, has proven powerful in the life of my children -- both biological, and educationally-connected -- as a means to express emotion or ideas, or create a mood.

So this week, I've been challenged by my son, Ben, to finally agree on a "mother/son" dance song for his upcoming wedding.  His suggestion, something from Jimmy Eat World, sounded as if I, the mother, was dead.  My suggestion, "Shut Up and Dance" was not received well by him.  Of course, my next idea was to Google suggestions, review them, and send off a short list to the groom to be.

And he had the NERVE to accuse me of "just Googling Mother/Son wedding dances."   Apparently, the minutes of listening to the first minute of two dozen songs while reading the lyrics didn't count. So the search continues.  (I'm open to suggestions -- but don't even try to suggest anything by Rascal Flatts, Rod Stewart, or even my beloved Billy Joel.  I'm pretty sure that the fact that they're on Bride Magazine's list assures that they will never make ours!)

Music is powerful.  It is also historical.    Years ago, we did a Bible study with the youth group at church drawing comparisons between contemporary lyrics and scripture.  When my daughter took an American History College in the High School course with my good friend, Liz, the power and influence of Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, and others.  Former student, Shannon, rewrote the lyrics to the aforementioned "We Didn't Start the Fire" to reflect the year of her birth, and the historical events of that time, and performed it in front of the class, barely breathing through the multitude of events.  Arts Integration isn't just about drawing to illustrate projects....

So yes, music is powerful.  It's historical.  It's emotional. It's also very educational.

And somewhere on itunes is the perfect Mother/Son wedding dance song that fits the criteria necessary - 1.  Approved by Ben.  2.  Danceable.  3.  Will not make me cry.

I'm back to listening to 60 second clips....


No comments:

Post a Comment