Friday, June 5, 2015

Why can't I sleep?

I've been awake since 3:30 am, answering emails, and just generally processing a giant list of TO DOs that need to be done before the end of the year.  I was at school shortly after 6:30, and finalized all the grades that I could by 8, just in time for the June fire drill.

Which conveniently got the entire student body out on the lawn to watch the parade mentioned yesterday.  With the help of some dedicated student volunteers, I was able to rescue about 2 pounds of UHU putty from various posters on my walls, and strip my room down to its naked summer state, all before lunch.
 
The hallways emptied shortly before noon, with nary a lock left on a locker.  And the afternoon grading and report card duties flew by.  I forced myself home by 3:45, hoping to grab an hour-long nap before commencement this evening.

But I am too excited.

Seriously.  My own kids have all graduated.  This should be just another duty on my list of end of the year duties, but I'm eagerly anticipating commencement this evening, even if they've moved it inside due to the threat of thunderstorms.  Two of the student speeches will be given by students of mine, and I am anxious to watch and listen to them as they charge their classmates to move forward.

By the time I got home, there were many posts on Facebook from current juniors proclaiming the beginning of their Senior Year.  To them I say, SLOW DOWN!  

I can only mourn the loss of one group of great kids at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment