Monday, November 17, 2014

This Blog Thing.


A friend of mine sent me a message on Facebook telling me that she referenced this blog in her pre-observation conference with her principal as a tool she uses for reflection on her teaching, and as a means of adapting strategies in her own classroom.  I was so humbled and flattered by her kindness, both for being a dedicated reader, and for reaching out with a kudo!



The Te@chthought Blog Challenge for today:

Nov 17 -  One thing that is different from a year ago that I am grateful for...


 If you had told me a year ago -- heck, even six months ago -- that I would be blogging on a daily basis, I would have laughed, brushed it off, and blamed my schedule (among other things) for the reason why such a commitment would never become a reality.  And it's not to say that I don't drag myself home some nights and think, "Dear Lord, I have to BLOG before I can sleep?", but I really have found enjoyment in this whole reflective process.

Honestly, after the first month, my intent was to cut back to a blog entry a couple of times a week. When I mentioned this to my mother, she informed me that reading my blog had become part of her day, and provided "a window into my classroom."  Here's where I hope my own kids are reading my blog when I say -- "You should ALWAYS do what your mother suggests."

So here I am, after 79 straight days of posting, being grateful for this daily outlet.  Blogging has made me a much more thoughtful teacher.  My lesson planning is stronger, and the logic with which I approach education in general is much more evaluative.  I've connected with other teachers across the world, and now include people from New Zealand and Australia in my PLN.

So while public education has changed -- for the worse, in the eyes of many -- in the last year, THIS teacher has changed for the better.

All because of a four letter word (see the entry on the power of four letter words) - B-L-O-G.

No comments:

Post a Comment