Sunday, September 13, 2015

Still Breathing.

Last night, as I slept the best sleep I've had in a very long time, my daughter in law, Jennie, was breathing, along with her labor coach/husband Scott.  They didn't sleep at all, and have a tiny new human named Mia Cecelia to show for their efforts.  They really know how to pick gifts for Grandparents' Day, huh?

What do I wish for this tiny new granddaughter?  The very same things I pray for her brother.  Peace.  The ability to center and find themselves in the midst of a perceived -- or real-- storm.  The skills to center their focus, just as their mother did bringing them into this world, and breathe.

It's no secret that breathing is a theme in this blog. (A simple search in the bar above will yield many references during the last year.)  The fact that research now supports the importance of focused reflection to improve learning is a wonderful argument for slowing down and smelling the proverbial roses.  Sure there are storms.... (insert dancing in the rain or comments about rainbows of your choice here.)  Slowing down, doodling in the margins, opportunities for metacognition all translate to greater learning, and lower blood pressure.

This afternoon I'm going to smell the downy head of my new granddaughter, and pull a Frank Barone, breathing deeply and remembering this very perfect day.

"Let me get a few whiffs from the fountain of youth.
There it is.
I'm sucking in the youth."

It will be wonderful.  And much better than sniffing roses, I am certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment