Friday, September 19, 2014

"Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall....




... Who's the fairest one of all?"
I always hated Snow White.  The queen totally creeped me out.  Yet that dagger-fingered-apple-clutching hand is the image that pops into my mind whenever I hear the word "reflection."  
Many students have the same reaction.  The simple suggestion of spending more time learning something - or, God FORBID - thinking about what has been learned and regurgitating that back for teacher approval causes many a heart to skip in fear.


 Te@chthought Prompt of the day for the #reflectiveteacher challenge is:

Day 19

Name three powerful ways students can reflect on their learning, then discuss closely the one you use most often.

For today's post I did some action research with my second period class by asking them about their perception of feedback.   The group was asked to share, in writing, thoughts on feedback.  What it is,  how it benefited them, and  what frustrated them.  In the 2 minutes at the end of class, the responses were pretty impressive.  
  • What can be improved.
  • In math courses, it's pretty black and white.  If I'm wrong, tell me and show me how to do it right.  In most things where there is no right answer, give me ways it could be better.
  • Me gusta feedback in general -- for example, comments on essays other than grammar marks.
  • I want people to give me brutally honest feedback.  If I messed something up really badly, tell me.  If I did a fantastic job, tell me.
  • What can I do better next time?
  • I HATE negative feedback.
  • Ask me my reasoning behind an answer.  I don't mind negative HONEST feedback about essays that help me improve.  ("Too confusing."  "Change this." help me reflect)
  • I am partial to feedback comments, ideas, etc. on essays and projects.  I like feedback that allows me to grow to get the right answer.  It hurts, but bad feedback can be good!
As I've mentioned before, my learners are now focusing on everything they do through the lens of the Habits of Mind, so they are much more reflective -- even about reflection.   
As a Teacher of the Gifted, my main three feedback methods are:
1.  Verbal "reflection" of what I hear them saying, echoing so they hear their own voices and rethink their thinking.
2.  Cryptic comments in the margins of written work to promote introspection.
3.  Journaling or conferencing discussions on process as well as product.
Several years ago, I discovered the blog of Joe Fournier.  If you have some time, explore his present day stuff, but back then he and I were kindred spirits when it came to considering the concept of autonomous learning.  His graphic illustrating his concept of Assess, Introspect, Engage, Reflect and Share,  has resonated with me since then.




Joe explains it like this:

Assess - learners gain an awareness of their autonomy and the opportunity for self-direction.
Introspect - learners need opportunities to determine what is important, especially at the beginning of the learning, and to construct complex meaning throughout the learning.

Engage - Experience-based activities provide the grounds for proof, as well self-validation of competency.
Reflect - Reconsideration throughout the learning helps learners determine what should be integrated and how. It also helps them decide what to forget. 










Share - We all are compelled to make contributions and become advocates for the ideas that we share.

Joe is spot-on.  By placing the LEARNER in the center of the feedback, the learning is more meaningful.  

As teachers, we're already supposed to know the content.  TELLING kids they are right is not nearly as powerful as watching them prove they are right.  

The biggest frustration now is to get the learners to accept this paradigm shift, to stop caring about how they compare to the other students, or where they appear on the almighty rubric.  Instead, to KNOW that they've done their best work, and to confidently move forward defending their knowledge.

Do I sound like a broken record yet?  If you think so, go read Joe Fournier's blog.   (Even if I'm not -- go!)

No comments:

Post a Comment