Wednesday, September 10, 2014

5-4-3-2-1 BLAST OFF!


Our school has embraced the teachings of LFS.  For my acronym-hating mother, this is the wonderful concept called Learning Focused Schools.   While there isn't a teacher on the planet who opposes the concept of focused learners, it's not uncommon to be prompted during in-service days to consider the magical qualities of "3-2-1s".   When I viewed today's prompt, I sort of groaned inside.  It's a glorified 3-2-1 activating or summarizing strategy, for gosh sake.  Of course, I've attempted to conform, so here we go.

Today's Te@chthought Prompt:

September 10

Share five random facts about yourself.

1.  Sometimes the thing I look most forward to is watching mindless reruns from 10 - 11 pm on  MeTV with my husband.        (Tonight it's F Troop.  Last night was TAXI)
2.  I'm licensed to drive a motorcycle, and have been since 1977,  and have never taken the test.
3.  I've been gnome to obsess.  (If that makes no sense, you don't need to gno.)

4.  I know that unicorns are magical.  They, and hedgehogs,  make gifted kids' days. I didn't really know this until Charity Wheeler and Molly Moyer brought it to my attention.   If you don't believe me, ask the unicorn.  (Once again, Teacher of the Gifted, not the Gifted Teacher when it comes to uploading right side up videos...)




5. I can say the ingredients to a Big Mac backwards, fast, at the request of anyone.  (And this stupid human trick earned me a free Big Mac on at least 3 occasions thus far.)


Share four things from your bucket list.

1.  Make an entirely hand appliqued and hand quilted quilt.
2.  Visit Hawaii.
3.  Cruise Alaska
4.  Get published.

Share three things that you hope for this year, as a “person” or an educator.

1.  Serenity
2.  Strength
3.  Happiness
  (And, of course,  with homage to Miss Congeniality, World Peace.)

Share two things that have made you laugh or cry as an educator.

1.  How about laugh AND cry?  The biggest emotion-swing generator is anything related to education that is as a direct result of the actions of politicians.  Our kids will learn more when we stop teaching them to take tests.

2.  Zach's TED Talk.  I was reduced to tears the first time I saw it.  Oh, and every time since.  If you haven't seen it, it's about how education -- and life -- should be more like distance running instead of winning.  I'll see if I can get permission to post a link at some point.

UPDATE!  Zach has given permission for me to post his TED Talk here.  Sadly, the limit exceeds what blogspot will let me upload.  Stay tuned...



Share one thing you wish more people knew about you.

I'm pretty transparent, so I'm really not sure what to say.  I hope that I convey how much I care about my learners, as well as my friends and family.  If those people don't feel loved, then that's my answer.

Interesting exercise.  Try it yourself.... if you dare!
#reflectiveteacher


No comments:

Post a Comment