Sunday, September 13, 2020

It started with a tweet...

More than twenty years ago, I met  my friend, Amy, on a listserv for quilters.  We connected, challenged each other, and became fast friends, despite our ten year age difference, our careers -- she's an engineer working with computers for Dell -- and the style of our quilts.  (She's avant guard art, I'm pretty darned traditional in my design.)  Yet over the last almost 23 years, we've seen each other nearly as many times face to face, text or chat frequently, and think of each other often, so it didn't surprise me when I got an email from her Wednesday afternoon.  What surprised me was that she was asking if she could share my contact information with Scott Simon from NPR.

Seriously?????

Amy is a serious news junkie.  Even more so than I, and that is saying something.  Apparently Scott Simon tweeted about the difficulties in teaching during a pandemic, and she responded to that tweet, referencing our own conversation from a couple of weeks ago about the start of my school year.

One thing led to another, and by Wednesday evening I was actually talking to an editor about my school year, after securing permission to do so from my superintendent.  His "estimated" ten minute phone call was nearly 40 minutes long, and I was told we'd schedule the on-air taping for sometime the following afternoon.

I woke up Thursday morning thinking I'd had another of my really vivid dreams, this one being particularly specific, and pretty outlandish, even for me!  After breakfast, I checked my email, and noticed actual contact with NPR, and realized the reality of the entire situation.

By the end of the day, I had downloaded recording software on my phone, and was Zooming with Scott Simon about the challenges and revelations of teaching both in person and online simultaneously.  It was a lot of fun, and twenty-odd minutes passed quickly.  I was coached by Sophia, his producer, how to upload the interview I'd recorded on my phone -- which explains the crystal-clear sound that NPR projects, even during ZOOM calls -- and it was over.  On Friday, I was told it would air on Saturday.

Every weird experience somehow relates back to my classroom, and this was no exception.  I haven't deleted the recording app on my phone, in case my National History Day kids might be able to record their own interviews more clearly than our previous attempts with a variety of other platforms.  I love being able to take life and turn it into improving a learning experience for others later.

On Saturday morning, it was interesting to hear how they edited 20 minutes down to four, and still maintain the integrity of our conversation.  I also noticed, listening surreally to myself, that my "telephone voice" that Sara Frazier and Erik Ewing both have teased me about over the years translates to "radio voice," as well.

And, now I've had to cross off of my "Never have I Ever" list, "searched my own name on the NPR website."  

I hadn't anticipated a flurry of emails to my school account from Donegal alumni who have retired to Florida, or fellow teachers about to start remote/face to face teaching  themselves, so the conversation with Scott has widened the conversation even further.  I figured I'd blog here, given the number of friends who have asked how NPR found a small school in Lancaster County for commentary on a Saturday morning.

Pretty cool stuff, and all because of Amy's addiction to the news, and her response to a single tweet.

#npr @NPRWeekend @nprscottsimon

1 comment: